Saturday, January 23, 2010

Artist Statement, what?


Yes, artist statement.  I've been putting it off and not sure of how to start or what to write, but I think I finally did it.


My art is very much design based.  Whether that is unintentional or intentional, designs and patterns are always prevalent in the majority of my work.  It acts as a starting point for me, a visual base to which all other elements are added.

When I work, I am very involved in the process.  I thrive on the repetition and tediousness of my pieces.  I don’t set out to work in a tedious manner, however I don’t mind when it happens.  I enjoy the repetition of making dots, cutting out pieces from wallpaper, and making spirographs with the circular motion of one gear inside of another.  This tedious way of creating while repeating shapes and designs is reflected in all of my work.  Even my collage prints, which are pretty minimal compared to my other pieces, were very thought out, being positioned and repositioned before I could say they were finished.  Though process is important to my prints and paintings, the finished piece is the most significant.

Currently, my work has two extremes; I make pieces with very little or no empty space and I make minimal pieces.  While I work in these extremes, my body of work as a whole is united by color.  I love color and working with color.  Color perception is also something that I like to play with.  I enjoy putting bright lime green next to orange so that it looks red when viewed from afar.  The optical vibration that results from putting magenta next to blue and how that same shade of magenta changes when paired with green are situations that I really like to put into my work.  My use of color combined with how I use designs and patterns is for the ultimate result of a decorative artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment